Couples and Marriage Counselling
Couples are assisted in overcoming and managing their relationship crises and impasses. Both partners are also supported to adopt and enhance a collaborative mindset capable of fulfilling their need for connection, attachment, and love. A key therapeutic goal includes the development and integration of strategies that promote the attainment of a relationship involved in healthy attachments, meaningful connections, and romantic commitments.
When does couples counselling become very important?
There are various factors for a couple to opt for couples counselling or relationship counselling. Sometimes the couple ignores it in the beginning until it becomes very difficult. Here are some triggers which should help to identify when to seek couple’s counselling.
- Frequent Communication Breakdowns.result in unresolved and nerve rending arguments
- One or both partners have a mental illness
- Reduced intimacy (e.g. less physical affection or sex) or feeling emotionally disconnected from each other.
- Constant arguments, difficulty resolving conflict on trivial matters.
- Problems with expressions of anger.
- Inequality issues in the relationship.
- Dealing with infidelity or betrayal.
- Problems managing division of labour.
- More complex relationship strain with parenting.
- Dealing with mixed race, cultural, ethnic or religious differences.
- Navigating major life transitions (new baby, retirement, death in family, chronic illness or disability)
Spiler Psychotherapy takes an evidence-based approach to access couple distress and challenges:
- Blending an interfaith, interracial, and interethnic relationship
- Managing LGBTQ challenges
- Dealing with blended families, joint family and/or in-laws
- Differences in income, spending, power, privilege
- Managing an open or polyamorous relationship
- Navigating major changes in one or both partner’s lives such as:
- Empty nest syndrome
- Pregnancy, miscarriage, adoptions
- Loss of employment, e.g., pandemic job lay-offs
- Learning to live with a life-threatening health diagnosis
Our marriage and couples counselling services can benefit you:
- Improve communication and listening skills between couples.
- Learn to make helpful choices in marriage life.
- Develop the courage to make changes in a couples relationship.
- Develop self-help skills for building and maintaining a relationship based on mutual respect in marriage.
- Restore intimacy in a relationship.
- Find a process for resolving conflict for the couple.
Marriage (and long-term, common-law relationships) stand out as perhaps the most important relationships to satisfy a major compelling force that underlies the need for love and attachment. For most of us, romantic love is considered an essential prerequisite to marriage. An ongoing relationship is more demanding and beyond the intense tempo and support of love. Couples pass through the stages of falling in love, falling out of love, staying in love, or maintaining a satisfying and lasting relationship. Each stage has its own requirements. We support couples to explore healthier ways to effectively negotiate those changing requirements to improve and sustain fulfilling relationships.
Insurance and Health Spending Account Coverage, give our office a call and we can discuss direct billing options.
Our Approach For Couples Therapy
My aim as a couples therapist, is to model and assist them to integrate four key abilities to achieve relational success:
- Knowing and communicating what each desire,
- Noticing and discovering what their partner desires,
- Negotiating to obtain some of what each desires, and
- Providing what each can offer of what their partner desires.
The need for love and attachment is a major compelling force that underlies our striving for satisfying relationships. Of the many possible and experienced, relationships involved in romance, love, and marriage stand out as perhaps the most important. For most of us, romantic love is considered an essential prerequisite to marriage. An ongoing relationship is more demanding and beyond the intense tempo and support of love. Couples pass through the stages of falling in love, falling out of love, staying in love, or maintaining a satisfying and lasting relationship. Each stage has its own relationship requirements. We support couples to explore healthier ways to effectively negotiate the changing requirements to improve and sustain fulfilling relationships.
Mental Wellness Services
The talking treatment offered is customized to the individual’s uniqueness and the personal challenges they are experiencing within their current… Learn More »
Couples and Marriage Counselling
Couples are assisted in overcoming and managing their relationship crises and impasses. Both partners are also supported to adopt and enhance… Learn More »
Working with families requires an approach to understanding human behavior shaped by its social context. This approach also requires treating… Learn More »
Family Support Group
Spiler Psychotherapy™ offers monthly psycho-educational and confidential group meetings in a 5-part series format. It encourages a collaborative… Learn More »
We offer online workshops for Families who have a loved one diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. These workshops are for… Learn More »
Return to Work Insights
In the wake of pandemic disruption and the added pressures of meeting deadlines and limited resources or uncertainty within your careers… Learn More »
One of the main objectives of our customized coaching is to assist individuals, groups, trainers, and organizations to develop the tools… Learn More »